Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Assignment of a Lifetime

Good morning all!
I just finished my morning devotional and had to share.
It's from Proverbs 31 Ministries.
Today's message spoke about accepting the assignment of a lifetime,
just as Mary did with Jesus.

The words read...
"Have you ever said "yes" to God for what you believed was the assignment of a lifetime? When you said "yes" did you know you would never be the same again? I love the story of Mary - young, sweet, innocent Mary - who accepted the assignment of her lifetime.
I can only imagine what she was thinking when the angel Gabriel announced she would give birth to the Son of the Most High. Mary was also given details of how this son would be conceived. Without hesitation her response to this assignment of a lifetime was, "May it be to me as you have said" (Luke 1:38, NIV).
Has something like this ever happened to you? Has the Lord spoke to you through His Word and prayer and in your spirit you sensed Him telling you something that seemed outrageous? Has He asked you to say "yes" to an assignment that would change your life forever? You shook your head to loosen the cobwebs and push out anything possibly obstructing your hearing. You walked around bewildered for a couple days, wondering if you really heard right. You replayed the scenario in your mind to get a clearer picture of the experience, but still could not get a handle on it. Then out of the blue you received confirmation. God used a pastor, scripture, song, friend, family member, or a situation to confirm the word He spoke to your heart. If so, like Mary, have you responded with a song of praise to the Lord?"

As I read this message, I knew God was reminding me of the calling we have with Emily Margaret.
The calling that on most days, I feel so unqualified for.

Then I read on to the power verses for today...
Psalm 139:13, "For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb." (NIV)
Ephesians 2:10, "For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." (NIV)

Over the past few months,
Ephesians 2:10 has become our adoption verse.
That's when I knew that God was giving me yet another confirmation.
He's using my willing heart to do His good work.

Thank you Lord for leading me to do your good work.
Work that is so over my head that it has JESUS written all over it.
Thank you also for sending me needed encouragement.
Just so I know I'm hearing you right.


Note: Our 2nd home study visit has been rescheduled.
Our social worker emailed me Sunday, she has the flu!
I'll keep everyone posted on our next meeting.

God's blessings on the assignment God has given each of you,
AND a very Merry CHRISTmas! Sarah :D

2 comments:

Tara Anderson said...

I also feel that adopting is my "assignment of a lifetime"...and I also feel totlly unqualified! But, I know in my heart of hearts that God equips the called...He does NOT call the equipped! Amen to that!!!

It's kinda a bummer that your 2nd homestudy visit has gotten postponed...we will probably end up finishing ours about the same time you do! Our SW told us that we could have all our meetings completed by the time classes start back up for Andrew on January 14th. That's right around the corner! Truly, I believe that God has chosen...oh so wonderfully and graciously...to have us walk alongside each other throughout the process!

Chris said...

Thanks for such an inspiring post!!

I think in life we so often miss our 'assignment of a lifetime'! Sometimes we feel inadequate or confused or afraid or a million other excuses....

It is my prayer that we don't miss the opportunity....and that we listen to our God's calling and go bravely forward!

Merry Christmas!!!